During the extended Spring Break period, 38 Hawaii public schools will be providing free breakfast and lunch to children who are 18 years or younger. They will be able to stop by one of the designated schools (see list below) to pick up a grab-and-go meal.
Designated Windward schools starting Monday, March 23:
- Kahaluu Elementary
- Kahuku High & Intermediate
- King Intermediate
- Waimanalo Elementary & Intermediate
Additional school starting Tuesday, March 24:
- Kailua Elementary
Breakfast will be served from 7:30 a.m.- 8 a.m. Meal must be consumed by 10 a.m. due to food safety.
Lunch, from 11:30 a.m. to 12 noon. Meal must be consumed by 2 p.m. due to food safety.
Note: Lunch will not be served on Thursday, March 26, due to the Kuhio Day state holiday.
There will be no personal interaction between the DOE employees and the community. All meals will be placed in containers. Meals will be located outside of the cafeteria, preferably closest to a driveway or other natural access point on the campus. There will be no access to the cafeteria.
- How will kids without cars get these meals?
- How will rules be enforced without supervised pickup?
- How will those picking up meals be kept separated?
- How will containers be protected from coughers and sneezers?